Does it make sense to major in both biochemistry and physics (for biophysics)?

Discussion in 'Biophysics' started by fortune, Nov 14, 2009.

1. fortune

fortune Guest

I don't know, I do think they're interrelated, but is that reasonable?
  2. aldous64

aldous64 Guest

Theoretically, yes, because Biol, Chem and Phsy can not live without each other, especailly apparent for Biol, But in reality, I do not know. But if I were you I would do this. Major is Major.
  3. coowescoowe

coowescoowe Member

Any double major can be justified. But specifically for biophysics (I assume you mean structural biology, which is a bit of a more modernized and accurately descriptive term)...yes biochemistry and physics makes much sense.

I worked in a biophysics lab and my supervisor commented how when she first came to the lab (which worked with NMR), a lot of the physics threw her off. And my heavy non-biochem biology background made it feel like the only thing I actually understood at group meetings was what an Angstrom is.
  4. gavi

gavi Guest

Definitely. Biochemistry is fundamental to the study of any discipline in Biology, and if you'll be doing research work in structural analysis and the general behaviour of biomolecules, proteomics etc, That is a very good combo. Also, you'll know the basis behind so many techniques used in biology.

Thirdly, Physics is plain damn amazing! :-D
  5. akeno

akeno Guest

If you want to rip your hair out after a few years of frustration... then yes. Those are two extremely difficult majors all on their own. Some specialized science schools do offer a biophysics major. Good luck!

Share This Article