European Genetics really not that diverse ?

Discussion in 'Genetics' started by dubh, Nov 14, 2009.

1. dubh

dubh Guest

Well I have some points and questions here.

1. I was looking for a map of the genetic makeup of Europe and found this one here. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/13/science/13visual.html?ex=1376452800&en=f4641ba4084d7660&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink. According to that Northern European countries cluster rather tightly.

2. Is it really possible to tell the difference between the different subclades of a specific Ydna such as Whether or not a R1b subclade is of Celtic or Germanic? Because in a way it is almost senseless so try.

3.Are English and French really that different? Honestly I ask that because they are both made up of Celtic and Germanic genes with some Roman blood in there also as also Many Germans are At least in southern Germany.

4. Is it really correct to divide the Celtic and Germanic people in the ways they are separated ? If you ask me not really. They were both considered "Barbarians" , They were both Nordic and we also have ancient reports of Blond haired Celts and and Redheaded Scandinavians. It just seems to me that the separation and considering England as a non Germanic people is foolish, because The Celtic and Germanic people have mixed for a long time. Because I am sure the Gauls and the peoples of Germania constantly raided each other and took slaves with whom would have been raped along with Women who were left in the neighboring area that was attacked. So haw can we honestly tell the difference since they have intermixed for years.

Just try to be civilized please. If you have a negative comment please do not leave it.
  2. amogh14

amogh14 Guest

they aren't that diverse, you are right. Only descended from 9 different women.
    But when you talk of celts, the ones on the European continent are not the same as the ones of the british Isles/Ireland, whose genes in general point more towards ancient Iberia than central/northern Europe. There is NO archaeological proof of a major invasion of 'celts' from the above area into britain/Ireland around 500BC, most people descending instead from hunter gatherers and neolithic farmers who probably already spoke a form of celtic.
    you can in many cases differ which path a certain group took by looking at the mutations in the dna. For instance R1b from Iberia has some differences than r1b from germany, and mtdna J can either be neolithic seafarers from the med or,with a few different mutations, have come overland through Germany.
    Most british people are not 'nordic' in character; they tend to generally have long skulls of a type known as Mediterranean.Brown hair outweighs blonde generally and in the west of the country,so do brown eyes. And type O blood is the most common (in Scandinavia and Germany type A is most common.)
  3. jed

jed Guest

cant read all that!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share This Article