How difficult is the GRE General? Is it possible to prepare and do well in less than 6 weeks?

Discussion in 'GRE' started by gwarthegydd, Nov 14, 2009.

1. gwarthegydd

gwarthegydd Guest

I am taking it for the first time in two weeks.

Then, I plan to take it another time the next month.

So far the prepping is going slow. I have never been good at standardized testing. Any pointers on how to prepare for this thing?

How difficult is the GRE General? Is it possible to prepare and do well in less than 6 weeks?
  2. balwant

balwant Member

Dan, I don't think this is a good idea. I was told to prepare for a year. As is, I'll probably only have been studying about 7 months by the I take the GRE. That will be one of the last test days where I can still get the results back with enough time to make school deadlines. If I don't do well, I'll take it again in 12 months.

Why are you taking it in June/July? Most school deadlines are still 6 months off, at least in the US. It's my understanding that if you take it multiple times, they will send all results to where ever you are applying. They should give you an unofficial score the day of your test. Be prepared to cancel them if they're not good. And, yes, the studying is slow. I don't know that you can make a marked improvement in just 4 weeks. It seems you're just throwing your money away with this approach.

In your case, if you want to do well, about the only thing I can think of for you to do is to buy several different GRE books with several different practice tests and take them as much as possible. Then you'll know what to work on. Princeton Review and Kaplan both product very good material. You should also see if you can get into one of the GRE boot camp courses. Good luck.

Share This Article