Is there such a thing as an amphibian plant?

Discussion in 'Plant biotechnology' started by vagn, Nov 13, 2009.

1. vagn

vagn Guest

Asked in Botany section but no answer.

Thinking about evolution. Some have claimed it's self apparent and obvious to see. So, all life began in the ocean, plants were washed up on beaches and evolved into land plants, trees, grass, flowers. So, is there or was there a plant that could survive underwater and above the ground,,,amphibian like. For plants to move from sea to land there must have been a stage where like with animals, the plant was able to survive in both air and water.

I would appreciate examples.

and no I'm not taking the piss.... and no i'm not arguing against biology....and no I'm not a christian....and no I'm not a supporter of intelligent design......now that's out of the way can you please give me an intelligent answer.

OK, I'm actually blogging a sci fi book i'm writing. The aliens are highly evolved aquatic creatures. I'm trying to imagine what they would look like, their culture. If evolution is so apparent then why can't I think up what a highly evolve intelligent aquatic form would look like. I know it wouldn't look like a fish. Any suggestions helpful.
  2. sying20

sying20 Guest

The plant has structures called stoma that regulate water/gas exchange. Also you have to remember that plants remove CO2 from the atmosphere and release oxygen. So for them to be able to live strictly in water they have to have a mechanism for removing CO2 that does not involve the stoma - how do underwater plants do it? Algae? I know I am asking more questions than I am answering, but maybe it might help in the fleshing out of your story.
  3. evert

evert Guest

>>Asked in Botany section but no answer.

Then try the biology section.

>>If evolution is so apparent then why can't I think up what a highly
    >>evolve intelligent aquatic form would look like.

Because that's not exactly how evolution works. It's not a hierarchical ladder of ordered magnitude and complexity.
  4. kildaire62

kildaire62 Guest

There are plenty of plants that survive both submersed and emerged. In fact most aquarium plants you buy at your local store can be planted in dirt.
  5. fearghus

fearghus Guest

Mangroves grow in salt water. It's a pretty safe bet that it's ancestor was an ocean plant and that plants on land descended from the same line.
  6. daimhin

daimhin Member

Have you never seen sea weed growing on tidal rocks?

Share This Article