What are the effect of climate change on the commercial horticultural industry?

Discussion in 'Horticulture' started by dunne, Nov 14, 2009.

1. dunne

dunne Guest

i have just started my first year at uni, and got my first assignment.
    i have do write 500-600 words on the effects of climate chane on commercial horticultural industry.
    does any one know of any websites, books or journals that would have this kind of information

Many Thanks
  2. chiko

chiko Member

CO2 is the critical rate limiting factor in photosynthesis. The current level in the atmosphere is about 380ppm, the optimum level is 1000ppm, and at 200ppm photosynthesis stops altogether. Commercial glasshouses add CO2 to make their crops grow stronger.
    Plants also grow better in warmth, that is why commercial glasshouses are heated. In a warmer climate, there is more evaporation from the sea, so more clouds and rain, but this will vary greatly from region to region. Individual circumstances will change depending on what crops you are growing in what part of the world. There will be gains and losses where ever you are. The climate is constantly in a state of change, farmers know this and vary their crops and growing practises to adapt to this.
  3. taliesin

taliesin Member

The warmer the atmosphere is, the more water evaporates, therefore there is a need for more irrigation.

I bet your school library has journal articles about this

Share This Article