What employable skills do I need?

Discussion in 'Get the Job' started by Kamala, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Kamala

Kamala Member

India
    I am in need of a job as I have completed my undergraduate degree. I think I should be spending the time usefully learn something new. I think apart from the education I currently have no employable skills, so anything would help.
  2. aadryanaa

aadryanaa Full Member

Hey Kamala, don't worry too much about it, I have had the same problem when I first had to look for a serious job.
    the problem nowadays is that no one will hire you because you have no experience and you don't have any experience because no one hires you. Vicious circle...

However, I find that, with any new job, you have to show your employer that you're willing to learn. During the job interview, you have to be confident and just show the person in front of you that you are determined to learn and grow professionally, should they give you the opportunity.

Best of luck!
  3. Arul Prakash

Arul Prakash Sharing Knowledge Staff Member Full Member

Editor
    Resources:
    Google Plus:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    The employable skill-sets varies from industry to industry and within an industry depending on your job description. There is no definite guide that I can put forth in-front of you but can give you a general list of skills that biotech INC 500 need.

1. Jobs in biotechnology and related fields are mainly research oriented so you must have appropriate skills and behaviour to working and collaborating in a laboratory environment.
    2. As it is a research oriented industry, your work ethic and professionalism in paramount.
    3. Biotechnology industry insights can give you a better chance of understanding the job market and landing a job. Not just the financial margins or quarterly results of the industry but overall picture with understanding of the all aspects of the biotechnology industry.
    4. You must know your laboratory environments, with proper observation, documentation and safety protocols.
    5. Need a good technical foundation with knowledge in all the important fields of biotechnology. In areas such as biochemistry, cell biology, bioinformatics, genetics, and immunology.
    6. Research is as much about reusing old concepts to finding new ones. So you must be good in data mining, having the ability to find the relevant information in the vast data resources (library databases, newspapers and magazines, internet resources, trade publications, congressional reports, primary literature, etc) available for researchers today. You can download from our resources section Trust it or trash it a guide for finding credible information in genetic researchers.
    7. You must be proficient in oral and written communication skills in the language used by most of your colleagues. Having good oral and written skills in English, can be an advantage even in countries where English is not the native language. You linguistic skills should be enough to accurately follow procedures, write scientific reports, and give oral presentations.
    8. Quantitative and aptitude skills will come into play when you are tasked with analyzing and commissioning research project
    9. Knowing your instruments and techniques involved in operating them.( lab technician jobs are the most prevalent in the industry )
    Browse through the resources section to find more material to improve your skills. In the end its upto you to have a varied set of skills to attract employers. No matter what the present economic climate might be, if you have employable skills you will find a job

Share This Article