What is the difference between Biophysics and Biochemistry?

Discussion in 'Biophysics' started by elliston63, Nov 14, 2009.

1. elliston63

elliston63 Guest

I am wondering about the difference between these two disciplines. I would also like to know which one gets more involved in the creation of life? Which undergraduate major is the closest to biophysics? (I assume it is a graduate major)
  2. cuchulain

cuchulain Guest

Physics plus biology is the one. Chemistry plus physics is the other. Then you have the heavy weight:
    Physical Biology: this is when you have PhD's in both fields and have post graduate work in...
    Physical Chemistry, serious stuff.

I had a buddy (tennis buddy) who was not only a Physical Oceanographer but one of the smartest people I know. His wife is equally impressive; she works at the Jet Propulsion Libratory at Cal Tech. Both were nice, normal people with, oddly enough, two smart kids. I wonder…

I say "had" because they are in California and I am in Florida so, sadly, no more lunches or tennis. I the un-degreed, unworthy , through the good offices of both Tom and his wife, have played tennis on the...faculty courts… at Cal Tech; even those really smart kids, going to school there, can’t do that. I was overwhelmed with the experience and my serve was on. lol
  3. alexandre6

alexandre6 Guest

This will get chemists mad, but chemistry is just a branch of physics.

Physicists study everything,  chemists mostly stick to the gross properties of matter and how matter combines, to oversimplify.    Or another way, chemistry goes down to the electron shell level, physiscs goes down deeper.

For example, chemists can tell you the 78,321 ways that 48 carbon atoms can link up to form various chemical compounds and the color of each one.     Physicists are more interested in how and why the electrons grab on these ways.   Oversimplified of course.

Share This Article